Nurse's Notes



School staff may administer medication to a student only if a parent or guardian has specifically requested such action and there is a reason to administer the medication during the school day or during school-related activities. The Medication Administration Authorization Form (Spanish) must be signed by a parent in all cases where school staff will be asked to administer medications. A separate Authorization Form is required for each student, each medication, and each specific dosage. A new form must be signed and submitted for each new medication and for each dosage change. For each such change, a new label must also be provided. In addition, a new Medication Administration Authorization Form must be signed and submitted at the beginning of the school year if medication is continued from one year to the next. Medical orders are required in all cases when prescription medications are given to students by school staff. Prescription medication is supplied by the student’s parents or guardian and must be in the original container from the pharmacy with a label that includes student name, drug name, dose specific to weight or age, time interval, route (e.g. by mouth, injection, etc.) and specific indications.

Over-the-counter medications require medical orders as detailed below, specific to the educational level of the student. Limited over-the-counter medications (Ibuprofen aka Advil/ Motrin or Acetaminophen aka Tylenol) will be available in the health clinic to students who have an infrequent need for them. Other non-prescription medications, provided by parents, which are to be taken on an “as-needed” basis, must be in the original labeled container. The container should also be labeled with the student’s name. Package instructions will be followed for correct dosing, unless a prescription is supplied by a medical professional.

No aspirin products will be administered by school staff or stored in the health room without a prescription, due to the risk of Reye’s Syndrome. Studies have shown that using aspirin-type medications to treat viral illnesses increases the risk of this serious disease in children.

No herbal or homeopathic preparations will be administered by school staff without a parent-signed authorization form and a written order from an authorized medical provider. The medical order should contain a statement about the condition for which the product is being used.


Students may carry one day’s worth of prescribed or non-prescription medications for self administration during the school day. Medications are to be in the original labeled containers. No parental or medical authorization is required for a one-day’s dose. EXCEPTION: Controlled substances, which have potential for abuse, may never be self-carried and must be secured in the health office at all times. Some examples of controlled substances are narcotic pain relievers like Vicodin and Percodan and behavior medications like Ritalin and Concerta.

Pain-relief medications available at school for occasional use (ibuprofen or acetaminophen) require parent signature on the Medication Administration Authorization Form or on the Health Information card.

Other over-the-counter medications (other than ibuprofen and acetaminophen, above), provided by the parent, may be secured in the health room. The student will request it as needed and self administer the non-prescription medication under the supervision of the registered nurse. These medications require parent signature on the Medication Administration Authorization Form

All multi-dose prescription medications require parent signature on the Medication Administration Authorization Form and signature by an authorized medical provider

It is recommended that the school nurse be informed of any high school and post-secondary student’s need for regular medications.


Students may arrange with the school nurse to carry emergency medications, such as inhalers and epinephrine, under the following conditions: (1) written authorization is obtained from the parent, (2) written authorization is obtained by a medical provider, and (3) a contract is signed by the student, parent, and registered nurse. This contract signifies that, in the professional opinion of the registered nurse, the student is self-directed and knowledgeable about the medication, demonstrates the ability to self-administer the medication properly and has the maturity and responsibility necessary to carry and administer the medication safely. Privileges will be revoked for any student who self-administers inappropriately, who is judged to lack the necessary maturity and sense of responsibility, or who administers outside the bounds set forth by district policy or by the registered nurse. Where privileges are revoked, the parent/guardian shall be notified and the medication shall be confiscated and returned to the parent.

It is recommended that at the high school and post-secondary levels, the registered nurse is made aware of a student’s need for an inhaler or EpiPen.


Medications should be transported to and from school by the parent or guardian and given directly to school personnel. If this is not possible, the parent is to call the school and inform health office staff that a student is bringing medications. Health office staff will ensure that the medication is delivered to the health room, counted and recorded in the student’s medication record. EXCEPTION: High school students may independently deliver their medications to the health room.

Medications delivered to school without proper authorization (parent signature, medical signature, labeled containers, etc,) will be kept in the health office, but not administered to the student until proper procedures are in place. If, after the parent has been notified and after two weeks no corrective action has been taken, the medication will be returned to the parent by the safest method possible or discarded, at the discretion of the registered nurse.

The proper disposal of unused medications is important. It is the responsibility of the parent to obtain all unused medication from the school when the medication is discontinued, the school year ends, or the student transfers to another school. The school nurse will dispose of all unclaimed medication.

If your student needs to take any prescription or over the counter medication during the school day, please contact our school nurse.


Proof of Immunizations mut be provided when your student is enrolled on the Vista Peak Campus.


Aurora Public Schools School Medicaid Office provides assistance with Medicaid/CHP outreach and enrollment and application assistance. Clients can come to our office or we will go to the schools if necessary. You can call 303-326-2000 and reach extensions x28530 or x28539 for information, or to set an appointment. We also work directly with Tri County Health Department, Adams County and Arapahoe County for application processing and presumptive eligibility processing.

School Based Health Clinics