English Language Proficiency Assessment to Identify English Learners
WIDA Screener is an English Language Proficiency (ELP) assessment administered to students grades 1–12. WIDA Screener scores along with a Body of Evidence (BOE) help educators identify students who are English language learners (ELLs). It is a flexible, on-demand assessment that can be administered at any time during the school year. WIDA Screener is available in two formats: online and paper.
- Beginning July 1, 2018, the W-APT for grades 1-12 will no longer be available for Colorado schools and districts to use in the English Learner Identification process.
- Kindergarten and first semester, first grade students will continue to be assessed with the W-APT (WIDA-ACCESS Placement Test). W-APT is a English Language Proficiency (ELP) screening assessment given to incoming students who may be designated as English learners (EL). It assists educators with programmatic decisions such as identification and placement of ELs into English Language Development (ELD) services. The W-APT is one component of EL Identification process.
Annual English Language Proficiency Assessment for Identified English Learners
ACCESS for ELLs 2.0® is a secure large-scale English Language Proficiency assessment given annually to Kindergarten through 12th graders who have been identified as English language learners (ELLs). It provides educators and parents information about the English Language Proficiency level in the language domains of Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing. This assessment aligns to the Colorado English Language Proficiency Standards (CELP). Please contact the Assessment Office for more information or training dates for ACCESS for ELLs 2.0.
Links and Resources
- Colorado Identification of English Learners
- Redesignating English Learners
- English Language Development Guidebook
- English Language Proficiency Act (ELPA)
- English Learner Coding and Reporting
- English Learner Coding Training - Aug 2019
- Cut Score Guidance for W-APT, WIDA Screener & ACCESS 2.0
- WIDA Accessibility and Accommodations Supplement
- WIDA Screener Interpretative Guide
- WIDA Screener FAQs
- WIDA Screener & Identification Training - Aug 2019 (PDF)